2014 Conference News
Less than 30 more sleeps until the third-biennial CCWWP Conference begins at UBC on May 15, 2014. Okay, I admit that’s a pretty childish way to count the time left, but isn’t that how we calculate the build-up to something exciting?
And the conference will be both lots of fun and highly educational. We are hoping for at least 200 delegates from all our constituent groups: from students, from writers, from publishers and editors and teachers of writing. So, here’s why you should get right on your computer and register, if you have not already done so:
- Keynote addresses by three internationally famous writers: Joseph Boyden, Lisa Moore and Amy Bloom
- the chance to hear from representatives of writers’ groups from Australia, England and the United States
- a lively book and magazine fair that’s open to all delegates and to the public
- a chance to meet writers and teachers from all across the country
- readings from established and up-and-coming writers featured in literary magazines
- the hilarity of First Page Challenge, during which agents and editors give their first reactions to writers first pages of work
- a hot and zany cabaret hosted by Vancouver writer Amber Dawn
- more panels and presentations than you can shake a red pencil at
- And the chance to schmooze, kibitz, mingle and get to know new people and reconnect with old friends
Don’t wait. Don’t procrastinate. Register today. As the outgoing chair (in both senses of the word!) of the CCWWP board, I look forward to seeing you in Vancouver.
Lynne van Luven, CCWWP Board Chair
We’re please to announce that Conference Registration has finally arrived!
After much effort, the details of the 2014 CCWWP Conference to be held May 15-18, 2014 at UBC have been posted to the website.
Call for Proposals (now closed)
We accepted proposals for panel discussions, forums, readings, presentations and papers, about:
- the process of writing
- the pedagogy of teaching writing
- the business of writing and publishing
- creating and managing educational programs for writers
- elements of craft and criticism
Results of the Call for Proposals will be released by mid-December, 2013.
Our draft schedule and registration form is now live. We’ve worked hard on affordability, and rates have been significantly reduced from our Toronto conference in 2012, with further discounts for early registration. We’re excited to host three exciting keynote events, with three marvellous writers: Joseph Boyden, Amy Bloom and Lisa Moore. We also expect a stimulating mix of panel discussions and readings from the community of writers across Canada and internationally.
It was an intermittently snowy weekend, March 15-17, when the CCWWP Board — those who could — held a face-to face planning meeting. And the first item of Big News is:
OUR NEXT CONFERENCE IS MAY 15 TO 18, 2014, ON THE UBC CAMPUS IN VANCOUVER. DATE’S SET AND OUR PLANNING HAS BEGUN. STAY TUNED FOR MORE EXCITING CONFERENCE NEWS OVER THE COMING WEEKS.
— LYNNE VAN LUVEN, CHAIR, CCWWP BOARD.
Thanks to all the organizers, volunteers, sponsors, presenters, and attendees who made the 2012 CCWWP conference at Humber College such a success. The 2014 conference will be held in Vancouver and more info will be posted here and sent to members via email.